Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 131 - Your Own Africa



November 19, 2012 (Sam)

      I’ve walked many miles in my life, but the longest mile by far was the one I walked the other day with two mattresses stacked on top of my head. There’s something about the pressure on your neck, the uneven dirt road under your feet, and the numbness of your arms as you try to keep the awkwardly cumbersome load balanced on your head that makes the distance stretch out disproportionately.

      Beacon of Hope was recently able to give out close to a hundred mattresses to needy families in the community here in Ongata Rongai. It gave me a lot of joy to watch dozens of women come trudging into the compound and be able to leave beaming, knowing that they were bringing home, perhaps for the first time, the means for their children to be able to sleep comfortably that night. One such lady was struggling outside the guest house that we’re staying in the other day, and Christina, walking by, saw her struggling to shoulder the awkward load. So she did what she does best: volunteer my porter services. Not that I minded; I love carrying things for people.

      But as I was walking down that road, sweat streaming down my face, trying to blow the hair out of my eyes, something dawned on me: This is a very simple thing. I am not doing anything that anyone anywhere couldn’t do.

      A missionary friend of ours here, whose family has committed to serving in Kenya for as long as they feel God wants them here, told me the other day that people sometimes tend to get more excited or be especially supportive of what they are doing here in Kenya because of just that... they are here... in Kenya. Sometimes, we become so focused on the good that people are doing elsewhere, that we forget that there are people everywhere that need help. The fact is, not everyone may feel called to go and serve in Africa, and that’s okay. Being in Africa is no different than being in Atlanta which is no different than being on Allied Drive in Madison. God has you right where you are for a reason.

      I remember when I was in Iraq and feeling especially down about my situation, I received an encouraging note from my high school ceramics teacher that (paraphrased) said, “Your circumstances will not always be ideal. But you have a responsibility where you are. Use your unique gifts to help bring joy to other people. No amount of pouting is going to change your surroundings, so you must work with what you have been given, and determine to make a positive impact anyway.” Those few words of advice from him changed my perspective, and influenced the rest of my stay in the Middle East.

      The point, and the challenge, is this: You are where you are for a reason. Look for the needs in your area, no matter where it is, and do something to meet them. We have all been strategically placed in our own communities because there are people there that need help. And you are uniquely equipped to help meet those needs. So make your neighborhood your own personal Africa. The next time you see someone struggling to carry a heavy load, lift it for them.

      And watch out for the potholes in the road. You could step in a mud puddle.


No comments:

Post a Comment